Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Attack of Ahsan Khan

One one by, I kept adding more and more dramas to my "watch" list.  As I did this, I suddenly realized I was watching not one, not two, not three, but four Ahsan Khan dramas that were currently on-air.  This could have gone either way - either this could have backfired on Ahsan in the sense that people would get sick of him OR it could be a great display of his talent.

Fortunately for Ahsan, the latter has occurred.  I can't speak for others, because they may be sick of him, but for me personally, I am really impressed with him.  I've always been a fan of Ahsan Khan - maybe not overtly so, nor do I have a "crush" on him or anything, but I do regard him as one of the best actors on television currently.  This cluster of new dramas has just reinforced that belief.  He is not only playing the lead in all four dramas, but also playing different roles in each one.  Given, none of these roles involves being a druggie, a beggar, an abusive husband, etc.  But given that he's playing a "romantic" role in each, his characters do range from being a confused husband struggling to forget his past and love his wife, a man who has been maligned by his ex-lover, an employee in love with his the fiancee of his boss and a man who feels neglected by his fiancee and competes for her attention with a child.  He succeeds with all these roles.

As I caught up with this week's episodes of all of Ahsan's dramas this morning, this mini-review series is dedicated to his shows.

Mujhe Khuda Pe Yakeen Hai - Episode 6



I find that there's very little to like about Ayesha Khan's character.  There have been "negative" characters in the past, such as Saman (Saba Qamar) in "Maat," that have been ridiculously evil, yet you couldn't wait to see what they would do next.  This is not the case with Ayesha Khan's "Narmeen."  She is actually so weird that I can't even psycho-analyze the character.  One second, she's happy with changing Arham and the next, she wants Shahid.  Then, though she's married to Shahid after accusing Arham of God-knows-what (since we're still in the dark), she continues to taunt Arham at every turn.....and isn't even happy with Shahid!  It's baffling.  That said, this show continues to be great due to Ahsan Khan's good acting, his great chemistry with Momal Sheikh and a good ensemble cast.  The highlight of episode 6, for me personally, was an adorable scene between the brothers, Ahsan Khan and Meekal Zulfiqar.  These two actually share good chemistry together as well and it was nice to watch.

Khoya Khoya Chand - Episode 6



I am confused about the direction in which this drama is heading.  If this drama is about Arib (Ahsan) & Bina's (Sohai) marriage and the ups and downs a newly married couple faces, then this drama will be great.  However, I am really wary of couple-switching and with the writing these days, one can never tell which way this is going to go.  While we were treated to a bunch of scenes between Arib and Beena in the last couple of episodes, this one featured very few.  Instead, I was bored senseless watching scenes between Beena and Ahmerin (Maya Ali) with Beena trying to persuade everyone willing to listen that Ahmerin can't possibly marry Farooq.  While I understand the point of view that she can't stand the thought of having to see him as her brother-in-law for the rest of her life, I would like for her to just butt out and focus on her own marriage.  Likewise, I was actually pleasantly surprised when Arib finally managed to have a mildly "unstupid" conversation with Ahmerin in the car during this episode.  Up until now, his stand-offish behavior was really driving me crazy.  This drama needs to find some focus though - I can't tell where it's going.  I love the Ahsan-Sohai pair though.

Meri Zindagi Hai Tu - Episode 1



My first thought?  I know Aijaz Aslam has gotten older, but he's playing Maya Ali's father?  My heart just isn't ready for this.  He doesn't seem that old to me.  Other than that, I am LOVING that Aiza Khan and Ahsan Khan are working together, because they just look SO good together.  However, I am HATING that Aiza is playing this "Haan ji, haan ji" type of role and barely said anything throughout the episode.  I am also hating that Ahsan and Aiza are playing these characters that like each other despite barely speaking to each other.  I was hoping for a more modern, connected love story.  *sigh*  I am still confused as to the role Maya Ali plays in all of this.  How long can a kid complain about stomach aches to ruin her aunt's engagement?  And how long will Aiza's brother and sister-in-law put up with her tantrums, considering they're already catching on to her attachment problems in episode 1 - and she hasn't even grown up yet!  Anyways, I'm NOT horribly impressed with the first episode, but I can't always judge a drama based on the first episode.  We'll have to wait and watch.  =)

Kabhi Kabhi - Episode 2



I am really loving the natural progression of the story in this drama.  There are a lot of over-the-top characters, especially the character of Rehbar (Ally Khan) and Javed Sheikh's father role.  That said, there are also some great characters who seem very well-written and natural, namely the leads.  Ishaal (Mehwish Hayat) is a head-strong girl who has been living abroad, but she's not so removed from culture that she isn't relatable.  I find myself connecting with her in many scenes, especially since she reacts to things the way a "normal" girl would.  Arez (Ahsan Khan) is this sweet, nice, average guy who is friendly with Ishaal, yet not overly so for it to be seen negatively.  Their friendship isn't forced on the audience, but is instead very natural.  The progression of their relationship feels like the sort of connection that would happen between people in real life.  That's the winning point of this drama.  Ahsan & Mehwish have always had great chemistry, but with the development of their characters, it's really shining in this drama.  The happenings don't feel forced.  If this show continues going this way, I will be hooked throughout!

Happy watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment