Thursday, September 19, 2013

An Overload of New Dramas



I'm not going to discuss any of the dramas I was previously watching.  Don't get me wrong - I'm still watching them.  My list of dramas that I'm watching has peaked at an outstanding 17 dramas at this point in time.  I'm feeling really overwhelmed and praying that some of my older ones die their natural death sooner than later.

That said, I'm only discussing the new batch of dramas today.  The discussion for shows like Kankar, Shab-E-Arzoo Ka Aalam, Adhoori Aurat, Halki Si Khalish, Kadurat, Aunn Zara, Qarz and Yeh Shaadi Nahi Ho Sakti will have to wait for another day.  :)

So let's get started!  To make it easier, I am listing the dramas in order of preference this time and have arranged the images in that same order.  I also have to discuss that though I love him, I am on Ahsan Khan overload these days.  4 dramas with the same actor....that must be some sort of record.

Saari Bhool Humaari Thi
I love this show.  I love that Aiza Khan is playing a light-hearted, spoiled character with a personality.  I love that Danish Taimur and Affan Waheed, two actors that I love, are both in this drama.   I love that Affan’s “Abrar” is such a great character.  Affan’s roles are always so lovable…either that or he just plays them so well.  Danish’s character is pretty sleezy and is different from what he usually plays. I have to give special mention to the dialogue writer.  Loved this dialogue between Aiza & Danish’s characters:  “Yeh gulabi rang tum pe bohat acha lag raha hai. “ – “Yeh gulabi rang hai?” – “Haan, to aur kya hai?” – “Peach hai, color blind!”  Loved it.   And I love the nok-jhok between Aiza & Affan’s characters.  It's so endearing.  Both guys play interesting characters.  Farhan Ali Agha also deserves special mention for being so darn sweet in this drama as Mohsin!  I’m really looking forward to seeing how this story progresses!  My favorite out of all 17 shows I’m watching (this number is REALLY shameful……)

Kabhi Kabhi:
“Yes Boss” in TV form?  One episode in, but I really like this show so far.  I feel like I relate to the character of “Ishaal” in a way, especially on her reaction to being called a “misfit.”  I’m enjoying it so far.  Her character is a little OTT, but it’s OK.  Ahsan Khan’s character is very likable.  I’m looking forward to watching this one every week.

Darmiyan:  

This drama is so great, because you just can’t wait to see what kind of havoc Aaliya creates in Raheel & Nida’s lives.  Now that the past story has finally come to an end and we’re actually seeing where the storyline is headed, I am hooked.  It also has to be said that while I try to stop myself from those thoughts for “Farishtay’s sake,” I think Raheel & Nida’s family life is adorable.  
This story is fascinating in so many ways, but mostly because it’s set in realism.  There’s no black and white.  It’s all grey.  In Aaliya’s mind, Raheel is this piece of scum and Nida is that as well, by association.  In her mind, he ruined her entire life/family.  In Raheel’s mind, he left a girl who was a cheat.  Given, it was wrong that he didn’t trust her, but in his mind, she was a cheat.  Now he’s living a happy life as a great husband and father…..and here comes the past to bite him – though in his mind, he did what was “right.”  It’s really interesting to see this story come together and only 6 episodes have passed.  I’m hooked!

Khoya Khoya Chand
It’s nice and breezy, though the storyline has started so early on, I’m almost scared about what twists and turns the writing will take.  I hope the drama carries on with the fighting emotions of Ahsan and Sohai, trying to forget their past and trying to move on with each other.  That would be a pleasure to watch all the way through.  But if they put divorce, cheating, slimy twists in this like many dramas do, I think I will be thoroughly disgusted.  It depends on how the storyline goes from here that will determine my like or dislike of the show.  I am not a fan of Maya Khan and that hasn’t changed here.  But Sohai and Ahsan are doing a great job, which is keeping me interested.  The only flaw:  Why is Ahsan’s character acting like some sort of crazy affair has happened between him and Maya that he needs to avoid her?  Just move on, man!  Haha.  But I like this one so far.  It’s interesting and storyline-based while still being light.

Mujhe Khuda Pe Yakeen Hai
It’s almost as if I’m watching Meri Zaat Zarra-e-Benishaan all over again with the gender roles reversed.  The title song also gives me a feeling of déjà vu in relation to the MZZEB OST.  That said, I am loving that Ahsan is playing something a little different from his usual roles.  Ayesha Khan is doing a good job as a grey character (if not completely black).  I’m a little confused to see Mekaal here, because so far, this role doesn’t have much to offer for him.  Momal Sheikh is doing a good job  and I really love her chemistry with Ahsan here – though we’ve seen them as brother-sister in Mirat-Ul-Uroos.  Haha.  This is a good watch so far.  I’m interested.

Numm
I am a Fawad Khan loyalist and have been since before his fan following started and he began acting.  I’ve been a hardcore E.P. fan since 2003.  That said, I watch everything Fawad stars in….regardless of whether it’s good or not. 

I wouldn’t say “Numm” is bad.  It’s just something that has been tried and tested before in many other dramas, the most notable of which was “Noor Bano” in recent times.  It also has a psychedelic, ghost-house feel to it at times, which makes you wonder if you’re watching a drama or a horror show.  It doesn’t help that the main characters in Numm are not likable, whether it be arrogant Wali (Fawad), timid and boring Mahjabeen (Sania) or the over-the-top rebel bordering nutcase Neelum (Kanza).  Fawad is playing arrogance well.  Sania is really bringing out the pity in the audience – I feel horrible for her.   It has to be said that Kanza is a bad actress – I wonder why Pakistani drama directors feel that in order to portray a girl as an “innocent rebel,” she has to be a loud, obnoxious CHILD?  She even speaks as though she’s “thotli.”  The synopsis calls her a rebel – I feel like she’s playing a mentally handicapped character.  The only one of her scenes that made me crack a smile was when Wali (Fawad) says to Neelum (Kanza) “Araam se baat karo, mujhe awaaz aa rahi hai” when they were on the bus.  I feel like a lot has happened in four episodes and am interested in which direction the storyline will go (since there are at least 15 episodes left).  I wouldn’t recommend this one, but I wouldn’t NOT recommend it either, simply because I’m on the fence.

Mere Humrahi
Straight away, I have to make my bias clear:  I can't stand Sonya Hussain.  I don't think much of her as an actress or as a looker, so I dread watching her in a drama with my favorites.  Alas, Shehzad Sheikh and Fahad Mustafa are favorites, so I am forcing myself through this one.  The storyline is good.  I absolutely cannot knock this drama in that department.  Now that Aahad has made his re-appearance, the show is getting even more captivating.  Fahad and Shehzad have both done great jobs.  This is good.  I just can't bring myself to enjoy it due to my less-than-positive feelings towards the lead actress.

Ek Kasak Reh Gayi:
What I'm about to say doesn't happen very often, especially not when the drama in question features a great ensemble cast.  However, it must be said:  I am considering dropping this drama.  I love Sanam Saeed, I love Mekaal, I love Javed Sheikh.....but there is something surprisingly boring about this drama.  It has a "been there, seen that" feel to it.  Sanam's character's home situation, once again, resembles her home situation in Zindagi Gulzar Hai (except replace absent, arrogant father with overbearing, maulvi Chacha).  Mekaal is playing his usual "I'm rich and snooty, these poor people are beneath me" role that we know he can perform in his sleep.  If anything, the only thing that would keep me watching is my interest in Mekaal & Sanam's scenes together.  The drama also boasts of a beautiful OST.  Let's see.

Meri Zindagi Hai Tu:
Listed last, but definitely not the least, we have Meri Zindagi Hai Tu.  If you're someone who keeps on top of their dramas, you're thinking "Um, sweetheart, this hasn't aired yet."  You're right.  ;)  I did have to list it though, because it's already found itself a place on my schedule of new shows.  This airs this coming Friday (September 20th) and has all the makings of a hit drama.  Ahsan Khan, Aiza Khan and Maya Ali are the actors, based on a Faiza Iftikhar novel and produced by AnB Productions, it would be disappointing if this drama ends up being anything short of sheer entertainment.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

Alright, that's all for this time!  Happy watching!

2 comments:

  1. Is it just me or is there a whole lot of Ahsan Khan happening on air right now? 4 shows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm only watching 4 of them! He's also in "Gohar-E-Nayyab" on A-Plus currently, which I haven't seen. It's pretty overwhelming! But fortunately, his roles in all 4 dramas that I'm watching are pretty different, so they don't melt into each other. =)

    ReplyDelete