Sunday, September 11, 2016

Dillagi - What Pakistani Dramas Should Strive to Be


I've already written an essay on Dillagi recently, so I don't want to be repetitive.  What I do want to say is simply this:  This show was, for me personally, a perfect show.  

This show was brilliant.  After a long time, I watched what I felt was a pure love story.  The love Mohid had for Anmol was unfaltering.  It did not wither.  It did not stray.  It did not compromise.  It did not bow down to anyone - but to the woman he loved.  It was refreshing to see something like this on TV, but depicted in the most "real" way with real situations and emotions.


I loved that every character on this show had a personality, a backbone and a heart.  From Zulekha to Sabiha, Mohid to Dastagir, Mishal to Anmol....every character had a personality, a spark and their reactions to each and every situation never once betrayed that character (which is so rare these days)


The show had painfully flawed characters, but HUMAN characters.  Despite hating their actions, you felt for them and understood where they were coming from.  


Like I said, I've written about this show only recently, so I don't want to be repetitive.  But the last episode cemented Dillagi's place at #1 for 2016.  With an emotion packed episode that required some solid acting on the part of Mehwish Hayat and Saba Hamid, these women did not let the audience down!  I had tears in my eyes, feeling for the situation. Incredibly acted by the both of them.  Even Imran Ashraf's breakdown scene as Dastagir was power packed.  


What really made this show for me was the very last scene - a scene which not only brought the show full circle, but also showed that Mohid and Anmol were equals in their relationship.  This is the message I like seeing on TV, rather than the "let your in laws treat you like dirt, because eventually they will realize your importance" nonsense.  


At the end of the episode, I was not only left completely satisfied with the ending (which is SO rare), I felt as though I had watched something truly great and empowering.  Bravo to the team of Dillagi for making such a genuine product.

On that note, I've completely given up on Teri Chah Mein and Tum Meri Ho on ARY.  These two shows are so terrible, they're not worth an additional minute of my time.

Mann Mayal also came to an end.  Good riddance to a complete peace of junk.  That's all I have to say about that show.

Pakeeza ended well and, while I didn't appreciate the demise of the lead character or the indication that such a character couldn't have lived out a happy, successful life, I was glad that Pakeeza attained the respect she rightfully deserved, even if in death.

Ok, that's all!  I have a handful of new shows I want to write about next time!  Happy watching! 

5 comments:

  1. Greetings from India!

    It was a very lovely show indeed! The characters, the drawn out suspense and build up of Sabiha's backstory, Zulekha's adamance, the piquant situation where she keeps her married daughter coralled inside the house... and of course, the love story. I loved Mohid's character so much!
    Unlike you, however, I didn't like the end too much. Yes, they're equals but they are not the SAME. I found the chase too crude a device, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review my friend, i watched the entire show in less than 3 days, Dil Lagi was a refreshing and characters were complex and real to life. Humayun Saeed was the best in this show. Do you have any suggestions for Humayun's movie or drama, which i can binge watch like this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bin Roye is currently airing on Hum tv, but if you want to binge watch, here's a list of some of his memorable dramas.
      Mehndi
      Doraha
      Neeyat
      Ijazat
      Ishq Junoon Deewangi
      Koi To Baarish

      Negative roles:
      Udaan
      Kaafir

      In case it's not obvious, I'm a fan. :)

      Delete
    2. Movies-
      Jawani Phir Nahin Aani
      Main Hoon Shahid Afridi (I haven't seen it)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete