Friday, September 19, 2014

Lots to watch, very little to write about: Mehram, Main Bushra, Mohabbat Ab Nahi Hogi and Jaanam

Yes yes yes, I realize today is THE day:  Jackson Heights day!!  =)  But I'll be watching the episode later this evening (Saturday morning in Pakistan), as I want to watch it stress-free, so my review will have to wait until tomorrow!  Until then.....

I feel horribly bored with every show these days, including all the newly launched ones!  I just feel like there's so much to criticize.  So here goes my criticism-filled post on several different dramas.

Let's first start with yesterday's premiere show:  Mehram on Hum TV.



#1:  Moammar Rana's character, Zubair, sees Ayesha Khan's EYES while she's wearing naqaab and can't stop thinking about her, to the point that he basically neglects his fiancee when meeting her for the first time.  He is unable to get those eyes out of his head.  NOW just WAIT one MINUTE.  This isn't Pakeezah, friends.  No one can be THAT enchanted by someone's eyes.....especially an ordinary looking pair of eyes like Ayesha Khan's!  If this story were to be plausible, they should've cast Armeena Rana Khan.  Given, she's not a good actress like Ayesha Khan, but at least she has eyes worthy of attracting someone.  Anyway, my point is that the entire premise of the show so far is incredulous and fickle.

#2:  If you guys don't already know my severe dislike for Moammar Rana, you're about to be exposed to it.  He's an actor who refuses to play his age and this is a fact that really manages to ruin the beauty of any show.  Siraj Ul Haq has done this before in "Roshan Sitara," completely destroying the character of Momin by casting Moammar Rana.  An otherwise gorgeous, beautiful show was put to shame in the 2nd half once we were forced to endure Moammar Rana's role as Momin....a stark contrast to his YOUNG "older" brother Mansoor (Affan Waheed).  He's not fit to play a young bachelor looking for a bride for the first time, especially with his receding hairline.  Meanwhile, his male counterparts and peer group like Adnan Siddiqui, Aijaz Aslam, Faisal Qureshi have moved on to playing more mature, adult roles.  Momi is still stuck in 2000 when he debuted.

#3:  Here we go - not a criticism!  The character of Hamza is adorable, carefree, fun and the actor playing him (not sure of his name), while pretty young-looking for Ayesha Khan, is endearing so far.

So overall, I am not impressed with this show.  The first episode was very much a strange sort of let down....though I expected to be let down, considering I don't like Moammar Rana.  Despite that, I think Siraj Ul Haq is a good director, so let's see how this goes.


Mohabbat Ab Nahi Hogi.....Can I just ask about the logic in this drama?  Arham's mother, sister, sister-in-law, everyone is uncomfortable by the relationship between Azhar and Fiza.  HOWEVER, as soon as Arham reacts to their disgustingly close relationship, everyone switches sides, calling him unreasonable.  What about this is unreasonable?  He caught his brother and wife in a compromising situation TWICE.  This is just common sense - a devar and bhabi do NOT get THAT close.  Especially when a bhabi is crying to her devar about how she married the wrong brother.  Oh dear.  The characters of Fiza and Azhar are becoming very trying on the brain, considering they don't understand what they've done wrong.  On the other end, Arham is becoming a trying character as well, considering he isn't actually TALKING or telling anyone what he witnessed on skype and in the bedroom.  Either way, the next episode looks even more nausea inducing with Fiza asking Azhar if he'll marry her if Arham divorces her.  What. The. Hell?  That said, this drama is definitely one of the more interesting ones and I'm always kept on my toes, waiting for what happens next.


Moving on, we come to Jaanam.  It's strange that I'm supposed to believe or buy into this scenario.  Taseer (Adnan Siddiqui) seems like a very loving, understanding man who respects his wife a lot.  On the other end, we see Fiza (Saba Qamar) openly uncomfortable with her husband's cousin (played by Nomaan Masood), who is not only now divorced and broke, but also a pervert and openly harassing towards Fiza.

When Fiza tells Taseer in VERY vague terms that she's uncomfortable with his cousin in the house, Taseer jokingly dismisses her claims.  This entire premise for a show could be cleared up very simply:  Fiza telling Taseer EXACTLY what his cousin said to her.  THere is NO man in his right mind, especially an understanding, loyal one like Taseer, who will stand for that sort of harassment towards his wife.  But rather, Fiza vaguely talks about her discomfort and then "bardaashts" it all.  This is what I call weak writing.

On the other end, we see Noman's character putting in the seeds of "shukk" in Taseer's head towards Fiza's colleague - a colleague who has been around for years and has been very supportive of Fiza and Taseer's marriage.  When your own wife says there's something wrong with this man, the wife you trust and love, why would you suddenly listen to this man and allow his words to cloud your marriage?

Like I said, the basic premise of this story is very weak.  I'm having a hard time enjoying the show due to the sheer lack of communication and sense.


While I don't have any clear-cut issues with Main Bushra, there's also something seriously lacking.  YES, both male leads have yet to make their appearance.  But it's more than that:  WHY is Bushra blamed for the "bad fate" of her father?  Simply naming your daughter Bushra does not guarantee a prosperous future.  I don't understand the concept of a father of 5-6 daughters (how many kids are there here anyway?!) blaming his MIDDLE daughter for all his "misfortunes."  It doesn't make sense to me.  Regardless, Mawra Hocane is doing a good job in her role, as is Saba Hameed and Waseem Abbas.  The scene with Fiza threatening to leave the house was a particularly good scene for Mawra, Saba and Waseem, all three giving good performances.

Anyways, let's hope this one picks up soon!

These were the four shows I really wanted to write about at this point in time.  I'll definitely be writing my comments on ALL the shows I'm watching within this week, as I'm working on my "Currently watching" list!  =)  Keep an eye out on this space!
 
Happy watching!

3 comments:

  1. Love this review! Have you watched Tum mere he rehna? I absolutely LOVE the ost. It's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yes, I have been watching Tum Mere He Rehna and I love the OST as well! The show itself is interesting to watch, but at the same time, the characters of Bhai Jaan and Bhabi are so irritating, I find myself wanting to throw something at my TV screen during the episodes. Haha. I am interested in seeing where the storyline is headed!

      Delete
  2. If you want to dress up yourself with the gorgeous dressing, You must click this page, Like it and check all new collections in very affordable Prices. https://www.facebook.com/riyascollection

    ReplyDelete