Friday, September 26, 2014

Dramas I'm Currently Watching: September 2014 Edition!

It has officially been MONTHS since I've done this.  While I have been watching several dramas, I feel like my general interest in specific shows has been relegated to only 1-2 at a time, therefore I haven't felt the need to make a list in the last few months.  However, now with some exciting shows on air (Jackson Heights, Firaaq) and some exciting shows coming up (Goya, Sadqay Tumharay), I thought it was time!

So let's get right to it!  The shows are in order of best to slightly less interesting.



Jackson Heights
After only one episode, this show is currently ranking as my #1 favorite.  The first episode was interesting, had great dialogues and I really seemed to “connect” to it.  With great direction, writing and a great ensemble cast, I would urge everyone to watch this show.  Writing anything more on this show is unnecessary - so far, so perfect.


Firaaq
This show grabbed my attention after the first episode.  While our “lead” Paiman is a misfit (Sanam Saeed), we’re soon to see her transformation and her love story begin.  The storyline is interesting, focusing on the relationships between a mother and son, a brother and his sister, a husband and his wife, a couple and their friend and, eventually, Paiman and a psychiatrist (Mohib Mirza).  The relationships are so complex, yet so fascinating to watch that I look forward to the new episode each week.  This one is highly recommended.



Mohabbat Ab Nahi Hogi
While the basic premise of this show makes me queasy and the attitudes of the characters Azhar and Fiza make me want to slap someone, this show gets bonus points for keeping the viewer on their toes after each and every episode.  Saima Akram Chaudhry deserves special mention here for her writing.  While I haven't read the novel, I can imagine it must be good based on the content for the show.  The story revolves around Arham (Jibran) and Fiza's (Armeena Rana Khan) marriage.  Arham's brother Azhar (Ali Rehman Khan) has a close relationship with Fiza, treating her like a friend rather than a Bhabi.  This closeness of their relationship ultimately throws their lives into chaos, threatening not only Fiza and Arham's marriage but also Azhar's marriage with Urooj (Sundas Khan).  The story makes me want to hit my head against a wall at times due to frustration, but the pace is unmatched by any other drama.  And after this week's episode (episode 14) with Azhar now suspecting Fiza for all the confusion, the drama has taken an even more interesting twist.  If you aren't watching this one, I would recommend it.



Shanakht
While this is a drama I look forward to each week, after the recent episode (episode 7), I suddenly find myself on the fence about this.  I was very excited at the show bringing together Annie (Maya Ali) and Rohan (Fahad Mirza), feeling they were a perfect match for each other.  But the show has taken a weird turn after the marriage with Rohan consistently trying to please his terrible family, leaving Annie out in the cold.  Annie’s efforts to please Rohan’s mother and sisters is terrible to watch, because they dislike her for no reason at all!  On the other end, we see Kashaf’s marriage heading in a weird direction with her fiancĂ© demanding music nights and a car.  The show’s overall feel is suddenly making me uncomfortable.  While I realize it’s a reality in society, the reactions of others on the show are highly over the top.  With slightly restrained performances, the effect may have been different.  Still, I am enjoying the show overall and I like the theme.



Soteli
When this show first started, I wasn't incredibly impressed, but was pulled in for Sabreen Hisbani.  When I realized how short her role was, I was mildly turned off.  However, this show has taken off to be one of the more interesting ones and I genuinely enjoy it.  The storyline is different and while it plays on the “soteli” stereotypes, I am enjoying seeing the story from the child’s point of view.   The performance of the child actor playing Milkoo is amazing.  Now that Milkoo has grown up (now played by Shehzad Sheikh), I am even more interested to see what direction the story takes.



Tum Meray He Rehna
Family drama and politics:  In a Pakistani family, who doesn't know what this is like?  Take family politics, enhance it with an easily influenced family member, throw in two cousins fighting over the same guy and you end up with a show like Tum Meray He Rehna. The character of Siraj (Waseem Abbas) is an easily gullible character, one who is easily influenced and this attitude used to the benefit of his interfering wife Shahana (Saba Hameed).  Siraj's sister Raheela (Huma Hamid) and her husband Naseer (Rashid Mehmood) are good people who get caught up in family politics without wanting to.  The effects are felt by Numail (Mekaal) and Rania (Urwa), cousins who want to get married but can't due to their feuding families.  Oh no, been there, done that you say?  Not exactly.  While this story may not be anything new, the treatment is.  The performances are great and the situations are very realistic.  The overall way the show has been handled is what makes it an entertaining watch.



 Main Bushra
While I'm having a hard time grasping the "point" of the drama, I do still look forward to tuning in each week.  Bushra's struggles are not something I can relate to, being one of three daughters (and no brothers).  While I find the story old-fashioned, I think it's important to bring light to a story like this in order to change mind-sets and the belief that only sons can help their parents.  It's nice to see a strong character like Bushra doing everything she can to support her family.  While Affan Waheed and Faisal Qureshi have yet to make an appearance in the story, the show is still moving at a good pace.



Chup Raho
Some mothers are their own daughters worst enemies.  Looking at the actions of Rameen's mother, one wonders how and why she thought staying quiet would be a good idea.  Yes, being quiet would save her elder daughter's marriage, but at what cost?  Staying married to a man that represents pure evil?  A man who admits to repeatedly cheating on his wife?  A man who raped his wife's sister?  A man who intends on continuing to rape his sister in law, despite Rameen being married to his Aazir, his cousin?  Numair's nature isn't unrealistic and Jibran is doing an amazing job of playing this twisted, sick character.  While the logic for Rameen not speaking up doesn't work for me and the lack of reasoning on Aazir's part confuses me (why doesn't he realize something is UP when his fiancee/wife does a 180 in personality?), the performances on this show are still good and the storyline is interesting.




Aahista Aahista
What started off as an interesting, promising show has slowly deteriorated into what can only be classified as an utter bore.  The character of Zawar (played by Adnan Siddiqui) is such a horrible human being that it’s hard to even understand what we’re rooting for.  While the writers have done everything in their power to make Sofia (Sarwat Gillani) look “evil,” the fact of the matter is that she FEELS that there’s something between Hayaa and Zawar and that her marriage is being infringed upon.  While she’s too rude and unlikable for her own good, the viewer still can’t BLAME her.  On top of that, her husband’s complete and lack of interest in her misery after her miscarriage was an even bigger blow for the poor girl.  On the other end, Hayaa (Mawra Hocane) is a young and sweet girl and deserves so much better than a man who can’t even tell his first wife that he remarried.  Not only that, but he was also unable to defend her even as a human being to his wife.  People don’t even treat their enemies the way Zawar treated Hayaa.  At this point, I don’t know where this show is going.  All I know is that I want nothing but unhappiness for Zawar.  I do hope to see Shehroze Sabzwari’s character return and possibly accept Hayaa into his life.  That’s what’s keeping me watching this show.  Also, I love Javed Sheikh and his wife on the show.  They play very positive characters.



Daraar
There’s something wrong with a show when you find yourself completely unable to sympathize with the lead character.  For the life of me, I can't even remember the character names on this show, so it's going to be their real names.  Haha.  Aijaz Aslam and Ahmed Hassan play your general, sweet brother types.  These characters are really endearing.  On the other end, we have Mansha Pasha playing the Bhabi from hell.  Why?  No, she's not a bad person.  She's just easily influenced by her greedy family.  With a family like this, who needs enemies?  Saniya Shamshad plays Aijaz and Ahmed's younger sister, spoiled by her brothers and "Bua."  But this is all to Mansha's disliking, as she wants Aijaz to favor her own family and run the house her own way.  

The selfish nature of Mansha Pasha's character is so realistic that it's painful to watch.  She's not a bad person.  She's just a victim of circumstance.  While this show is almost a trainwreck with Mansha's character trying to "out" Bua this week, it's still entertaining to watch - the credit for this goes to good writing.


Mere Meherbaan
Oh boy.  What to say about this show?  Overacting, overacting, overacting.  Over-the-top situations beyond belief.  Crazy family members that you want to punch.  BUT entertainment overload.  This is one of those terrible dramas that you just cannot stop watching, because it's actually really entertaining.  Plus it's your perfect example of "good vs. evil" and you just really want to see the "good" family win and see the "bad" family left with nothing.


Mausam
There is so much stupidity in this show that the show itself reeks of brainlessness.  That said, it’s a show of chaos that you can’t take your eyes off of.  I find myself drawn in, week after week, to see what new nonsense will happen this week.  I definitely do watch the show in fast-forward motion though.  Each and every character has a different level of “stupid”:  Whether it be Haashir’s ridiculous reason for marrying Shazia, Saman’s doormat like behavior, Faisal’s playing two cousins……it’s all just terrible.  But of course, I will stick with it to the end, if only in hopes to see Shazia and Faisal “get theirs.”



Jaanam
A promising cast, a nice OST….I was really looking forward to this show.  However, the ridiculous scenario presented in the show is unpalettable.  I'd written about this show last week and my feelings and thoughts about it are the same.  For a modern, loving couple with good principles and a great relationship with their children, this situation is almost unrealistic for a cousin of Taseer to come in and not only shed suspicion on Taseer and Fiza's relationship, but to cause problems in their life, especially considering Fiza has mentioned over and over that she is uncomfortable with said cousin in the house.  Only 3 episodes so far, so I won't over-criticize.  But this one does rank low on my list.



Mehram
I think I’ve already written my thoughts on this show in a previous blog post, but I’ll rehash it again anyway.  Moammar Rana is the biggest drawback of this drama, once again playing a “young bachelor” when he looks nothing short of an uncle ji.  On the other end, Aisha Khan looks like the furthest thing from a young, eligible girl attracting a man with simply her eyes (what on earth?).  If anyone is aptly cast in this drama, it’s the actor playing Hamzah, who is probably the only one playing a character his age.  It HAS only been one episode though and Siraj Ul Haq does have nice stories in his dramas, so I’m still willing to give it a chance.



Bashar Momin  
I was initially very upset when Geo went off air during the ban and was happy when I found out it was back.  Looking back, I don’t know why.  I watched a small handful of Geo shows and they are all pretty bad, the top of the list being Bashar Momin.  This show is all glamour, no substance.  The situations here are so unrealistic and so ridiculous that I can’t even stomach it.  Bashar & Rudaba’s marriage, Buland and Tayyaba’s forthcoming marriage, Adil and Saira’s dysfunctional relationship and Adil’s weak personality…..all of it makes close to zero sense.  These are what you call “forced situations.”  These are situations that would never happen in real life and seem inspired by the Star Plus genre of dramas.  I am highly unimpressed and this show overall is nothing short of irritating.  But for some reaosn, I just can’t stop watching.


Bikhra Mera Naseeb
I have very little to say about this show.  It aired for only 6 episodes before going off air due to the Geo ban.  Since then, it has just started airing new episodes again.  That said, the storyline was seriously OTT to begin with and I found the show pretty irritating.  The only thing holding my interest was the potential pairing of Sami Khan and Aiza Khan, a pairing which I love.  Episode 7 was OK.  What I do find refreshing is that despite Hina (Aiza Khan) being a completely spoiled, rich brat, her parents are not shown being “maghroor” or pampering towards her personality…though Saba Qamar’s character looks like she will play a hand in Hina’s further negativity in the future.  Let’s see.  I’m not impressed.


Sadqay Tumharay
This show is set to start in October and with such a promising cast, a great creative head, director and production house, this is one of my most awaited shows for the Fall season!  =)


Goya
Likewise as Sadqay Tumharay, this show has everything "exciting" going for it!  Also scheduled to start airing in October, this show has been gathering steam for months now and already has a fan following waiting with baited breath!

Alright, that's it for now!  Some exciting shows, some not-so-exciting - but that's generally the nature of these write-ups.  Haha.  Enjoy these shows - the first half are definitely worth watching!  =)

Happy watching!

5 comments: