Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pyaray Afzal - Ab Tak



I feel like I've been reviewing every drama's last episode these days, so I wanted to put a stop to that and go back to reviewing shows that are still airing.  Haha.  Of course, topping the list is Pyaray Afzal, which has been a favorite since day one.

Slowly, Afzal has taken course from being a good kid keeping bad company to transforming into this gangster.  It's strange how the storyline changed so naturally.  Pyaray Afzal has now turned into Gunda Afzal.   But Hamza Ali Abbasi has done an amazing job not only playing Afzal to perfection, but also allowing the audience to feel for Afzal.  He's a lovable character, despite the mess he's presently in.



At this conjecture, Farah is more irritating than I ever thought possible.  I really want people to discuss with me here - so PLEASE do leave your comments.  I'm curious as to how many people are actually "Team Farah" in regards to seeing Farah with Afzal?  I love Aiza Khan and I think she's doing an incredible job of portraying Farah's ridiculously insane nature.  But Farah as a character is a nutjob and I hope she does not end up with Afzal.  As Lubna said, she doesn't even deserve his picture.

On the other end, I have a love-hate relationship with Lubna.  Sometimes I can't understand what the girl is playing at - and then other moments, I think she's amazing.  It has to be said that from day one, Lubna was always on Afzal's "side."  She's been loyal.  I have a soft spot for her.  And that being said, first with Ranjish Hee Sahi and now with Pyaray Afzal, Sana Javed is fast becoming a favorite on Pakistani television!

And coming to the final member of the "Afzal Ki Deewani" trio, we come to Yasmeen.  A silly girl, but a girl with a heart of gold.  She is the reason Afzal was dragged into his current predicament, but can she really be blamed for the entire situation?  She has shown loyalty to Afzal as soon as she began to understand him.  Her "chalaaki" is only a mask for her innocence and I think that's what draws the viewer to Yasmeen.  Sohai Ali Abro is a natural in this role and makes Yasmeen incredibly endearing.

At this point, I would love to see Afzal end up with either Lubna OR Yasmeen.  Any other opinions are welcome - please comment below!



And coming to my favorite character on the show - Molvi SubhanAllah.  What an incredible character enacted by an incredible person.  Each dialogue, each sad look, each smile just goes straight to my heart.  I don't think there has been a more effective portrayal of a character on television to date.

Pair with him Saba Hameed as Ruqaiyya Begum and it is possibly the cutest "love story" on TV right now.  I love seeing their bickering which conceals their deep love and respect for each other.  Two brilliant actors working together = magic.

Anoushey Abbasi is adorable as Arifa and completes this perfect family picture.  Unfortunately, this perfect family is going through a lot of pain in the drama at present and it has been painful watching their struggle to forget their son/brother and present an outlook of calm.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a happy ending for these three!



Coming to Farah & Lubna's family, it's hard not to love Shehryar Zaidi and Saba Faisal as Sheikh Ibrahim and Mrs. Ibrahim.  They are well aware of the ridiculous nature of both their daughters, yet house so much affection for them that they are now disheartened by them, namely Farah.  This new twist with Vasay Chaudhary as the psychiatrist and Farah's new fiance is hilarious and brings forth much needed light-hearted moments!



There we have it.  Pyaray Afzal in a nutshell at present.  I'm not sure how many more episodes are left, but the show is beginning to feel a little stretched out.  But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a happy ending.

Happy watching!  And please do continue to leave your comments!  =)

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just me but I feel like Lubna is faking a love for Afzal just to trick Farah into admitting her love for Afzal. As well as the psychiatrist. I think he's only proposing as part of a plan to make Farah admit her love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right! I think the same - that Lubna and the psychiatrist are conspiring to make Farah realize her feelings. I think when Lubna began that whole farce of speaking to Afzal on the phone was when I decided she was doing it to make Farah jealous and realize her own feelings.

      Despite that, I still feel that Farah and Afzal would be a terrible match - mostly because Farah has an "off" attitude and really treated Afzal badly. I would much rather see Afzal actually end up with Lubna or Yasmeen. Though I do have a feeling now, with the show slowly coming to a close, that he will either end up with Farah or meet with a tragic end. =/

      Delete
  2. I want Afzal with Yasmeen. She met him and expressed her love promptly unlike Farah or even Lubna. The two sisters are making the situation complex. On the other hand, Yasmeen doesn't think twice before saying she loves Afzal. I mean for crying out loud Afzal took a bullet for her. Yasmeen and Afzal deserve each other.
    I'm also still not understanding this whole letter thing. Who actually writes the letters signed with the name Farah. I know it's not Farah Ibrahim. There is also no other Farah in the show. Is it Afzal himself? Wow that would seriously be a loser moment if Afzal faked love letters and signed Farah's name.

    ReplyDelete