Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Besharam

First of all, Ramadan Mubarak!  It's a busy time and I hope the month is off to a great start for everyone.  My reviews may be significantly shorter this month due to lack of time, so please forgive me.


"Besharam" is a show that I've heard very little buzz about, but is one of the more interesting/exciting shows on television right now.  That being said, I have some mixed opinions towards the show itself.

On one hand, the story is innovative, something we haven't really seen on Pakistani television before.  It's the story of the relationship between a budding politician and a supermodel with different ideas, different baggage and different family backgrounds.  This alone, along with the casting of Saba Qamar and Zahid Ahmed, makes this show worth watching.


On the other hand, the editing goes into awkward moments (namely that terrible sequence between Zahid Ahmed's fighting scene and Saba's ramp walk) where the music doesn't even match up with what's happening.  Camera work tends to be shoddy and some of Saba Qamar's outfits are downright garish - cut to episode 5 with the TV Nikkah sequence .....why a top-notch model would wear that outfit, that makeup and that hairstyle on TV is completely beyond me.

Coming back to that TV Nikkah sequence - that's probably my biggest problem with the show currently.  The sequence where Zahid Ahmed's character proposes to Saba Qamar is possibly one of the most frustratingly unnatural scenes in recent times.  My mind simply could not process why he would take that step or why Saba's character reacted so foolishly and with such a lack of grace while on TV.  Yes, I understand that she was in a bad place and her emotional "place" was very weak, causing her to have that blowout....but that still does not explain why she would accept Zahid's proposal.  The deal  - a marriage in exchange for an apology - actually made little to zero sense and I found myself rolling my eyes and holding back laughter at the same time.  


Despite that, the show boasts of a great cast, a highly innovative storyline and two very talented lead actors.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the show progresses and what direction it moves in, though I'm hoping it stays a love story at heart.  So far, I'd recommend this one.

Happy watching! 

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm hooked on to Mann Mayal and the June 13th episode is not available on You Tube Hum TV in US, this is the first time Hum TV has blocked its serials in the US... the latest episode of this serial has been uploaded by other people, but the quality is bad..Do you have any suggestions, how I can watch Hum TV serials going forward :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YouTube is your best friend. There are many others who upload it. Unfortunately, hum tv just signed a new deal and is back on dish network, so they don't want their content readily available to overseas Pakistanis anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm from
    dubai and I absolutely love your blog just as much as I love all the Pakistan dramas.

    I really like Besharam, the storyline is so unusual and I'm a big fan of Zahid. He's a powerhouse performer. I agree with you I felt that the whole marriage sequence on tv was a bit awkward but I can literally let that go considering how exciting all the characters are.

    I'm just afraid that the show should have a positive ending as it's also infer linked with politics as Zahid plays an aspiring politician.

    So excited for the next episode. Also waiting to hear reviews from you!

    Love from Dubai
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you love the blog, because I tend to think it's just a collection of my verbal rants. Hahaha.

      I definitely see where you're coming from with the political angle and thinking the show could go down a negative/sad road.....but so far, I'm seeing that the focus of the show is moreso on the actual relationship development between these two strangers, so HOPEFULLY, that's where the story will continue to focus and we'll see something positive throughout. Fingers crossed!

      <3 Sophia

      Delete