Friday, April 8, 2016

Thoughts on a few (unimpressive) shows....

These are just some straight opinions on a few shows.....

Maana Ka Gharaana


Maana Ka Gharana came to an end and did so in the most unimpressive way.  Instead of the entire family realizing on their own how grave their mistakes were in judging Khizer, Jahangir Sahab had to come and explain Khizer's genuineness.  Unbelievable. I needed to see this entire family grovel and apologize to Khizer. Also, Maana did not deserve him and he should've ended up with Laila.  A terrible show being completely erased from memory.....NOW.

Tere Mere Beech


Hmmmm....while the premise of this show is interesting, it's also ridiculous.  Hareem living in a stranger's house, trying to treat her servants like dirt?  Knowing that her family thinks she's dead and not calling to let them know she's ok?  She's honestly the worst character and it's hard to feel any sympathy for her.

 Pakeeza


I was really on board with this show until
The last episode.  Suddenly Pakeeza's husband divorces her and then they continue living together for the sake of their daughter with husband dearest now saying he will claim it never happened? What is this nonsense?  I have high hopes from this show in educating women on what they should NOT accept in a marriage, but now the show is somehow taking an annoying, cliched twist.  Let's see how it progresses from here...

Bheegi Palkein


I'm over it.  There is no redeeming this show at all, especially with Hassan now marrying Fari and throwing Bano into an asylum.  How does one marry someone he had such a deep distrust for?  And then turn on someone who has proved herself reliable over and over, a victim of bad in laws and circumstance?  I need it to come out that Fari was, in fact, the person responsible for her brother's death.  Also, Hassan has lost all appeal. I would much rather see Bano now with this sweet Doctor helping her.  That would even be realistic, but I don't expect much realism from this show anymore, so I'm assuming she'll end up with Hassan again, a man who doesn't deserve her.

Mera Yaar Miladay


The best thing about this show is the OST.  That's all.  Otherwise, I'm really struggling to continue watching this show.  It's actually painful.

That's all for now!  I will definitely be writing about some new shows in the next post!  Happy watching!! 

4 comments:

  1. Hello S,
    Nice read! I agree that at times, Faisal can go overboard. Maybe an actor needs to be a trifle insulated from all the praise surrounding his performances to allow him to really immerse himself into his newer roles. I found he has been inconsistent in his earlier roles-the ones he did in the 90s or early 2000s (I presume) and are now uploaded on Youtube. In fact, his look was also very unappealing back then. I think the years and maybe some stylists have helped him look more becoming in front of the camera. Regardless, I remain interested in his work although he really shines with a good script and good direction. At times, I think an actor, no matter how intuitive, needs a director to challenge him and bring a performance out of him. Case in point: Emran Hashmi in Shanghai. Deebaker Banerjee really wrung a performance out of Hashmi, who most considered a non-performer in his earlier films. As for Bheegi Palkein, I was, like most, aghast at how Hassan could not just disbelieve Bano, but so willingly believe Khala and Fari. My only guess is that he was so flabbergasted and distraught by the turn of events and losing his mom, that he decided that he could only trust someone who was close to his mother, aka his khala. And maybe, he married Fari to settle scores with Bano. But I did like the most recent episode where Bano has such heartfelt conversations with her psychiatrist. For once, I was moved by her plight, by the turbulence of her life, and Ushna was pretty good in that episode. And like you, I too would like to see her with the nice doctor instead of Hasan because Hasan really doesn't seem to have it in him to trust Bano. Even before his mother's death, on seeing the video of Bano, his first instinct was to mistrust her. In that regard, he is a lot like Buland from Basher Momin, and their mistrust of their loved one makes their love, their feelings seem inconsequential to me. I also like how, in the promo of the next episode, Fari is starting to slowly unravel, without needing any outside help, much like Lady macbeth. That and the fact that she was so unmoved on hearing of her marriage to Hasan were nice to watch. Both seem to suggest that our sins cast long shadows that mar even the happy occasions we've sought so intensely. It is a perspective that I personally hold, so it was nice to see it displayed in this drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to have mentioned the bit about Faisal's acting being sub-par in MYMD. For some reason, I thought you'd posted something about that in your review. Turns out it was mentioned in another review of Mera Yar Mila Day (http://reviewit.pk/mera-yaar-miladay-episodes-7-10/).
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok! I will say that I'm not impressed with Faisal's performances in either Bheegi Palkein or Mera Yaar Miladay. His characters themselves feel inconsistent and I feel Faisal is backtracking. I'm with you in thinking he has a hard time immersing himself in roles when he's been branded one of the best.

      HOWEVER, after today's episode of Naraaz, I am really happy with his performance there. At lest he seems to be working hard on one of his shows. Maybe on some level, he's able to connect to that character....but what a beautiful performance.

      Delete
    2. I also feel Faisal was at his performing best in the 2000-2010 decade with Meri Zaat, Qaid E Tanhai, The Ghost, Meri Ansuni Kahani....but I also feel that era of writing was superior than it is today. Plus, the channels were fewer, so the industry was producing less shows with higher quality.

      Delete