Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Gul e Rana

As usual, I'm lagging behind on writing - and how so!  There are so many things to write about: The end of Yeh Mera Deewanapan Hai, the brilliant Man Mayal, the plethora of exciting shows starting (Dillagi, Pakeeza, Mera Yaar Miladay).  But before I can even move on to discuss any of these tings, I just HAVE to dedicate a blog post entirely to the mess that is currently Gul-E-Rana.




I had some people comment on an earlier post as to WHY I found this show interesting?  Why did i feel this was an out-and-out love story?  How could I stomach such a terrible male lead character?  I'm not in the dark - I understand all the complaints.  From the moment this show's OST released, I fell in love.  A bad boy turned good, a man who makes his wife's life torture but then goes on to fall in love with her, an arrogant male chauvenist who realizes the worth and value of his wife and women in his life......this is what I was expecting from Gul-E-Rana.  This is what I'm STILL holding out hope for from Gul-E-Rana.  But when the hell are we actually going to GET THERE?!  And will it simply be TOO LATE?  As a viewer, this show has begun to test my patience.  Rana's refusal to confide the truth to her family is treading thin.  And Adeel's absolutely douchey behavior has put him pretty close to the point of absolutely no return - HOW will this character be redeemed?  Is it possible?  Maybe, but not if he continues on this path for even one more episode......

Going back to some majorly irritating flaws in the last few episodes:



I completely understand that Asher Bhai is Rana's confidant and she considers him one of her best friends.  But as a "samajhdaar" girl, when she realizes that her relationship with Asher Bhai is such a huge deal when it comes to Adeel, shouldn't she be a little more intelligent about her phone calls?  Her words to Asher Bhai were considerably uncomfortable and "relationship-like" for the bare, general ear.  Considering Asher Bhai is so rooted and stable, why don't we ever see a scene with him explaining that these phone calls may not be in her best interest?  Likewise with Rana's mother and Khala - these are small things that family members DO discuss with their daughters.  But of course, for the sake of story, all these characters have pulled the wool over their eyes.

Moving away from that, can we discuss what happened with "Mona" for a moment?  #1, I was waiting with baited breath for the ramifications from that episode to be cleared up in the next.  What WAS Adeel doing that made him look so guilty?  Was this a ploy on Mona's part?  WHAT was this?!  And why did Adeel offer absolutely zero explanation in the coming episodes?  Was he really trying to have his way with her?  I doubt it.  So why did he feel the need to go completely silent on the issue?  Rana assumes the worst of him, but you'd think he'd clear up that misconception, considering he prides himself on every woman wanting him.




#2, I think I had a really hard time digesting Rana's "victim shaming" comment to Mona, discussing how her clothes and her demeanor caused Adeel to "attack" her.  Wait.  Pause.  Why are Rana's sleeveless shalwar kameez covered with a flimsy chiffon dupatta more modest than Mona's covered T-shirt and jeans?  Let's throw shade elsewhere, Rana.  Not only was the comment stupid, it was also hypocritical - but let's blame the chauvinistic writers there, I guess.  Second, seriously?  What did Mona do to bring this on in Rana's eyes?  Especially considering that Mona made every effort to ask Rana for her approval to stay in her home, being perfectly nice to her (in theory - whether she was a mess-creator will come out later, I suppose).  I just REALLY had a hard time stomaching this scene and Rana's comments.

Considering Adeel has never been a saint and Taaya Abu has been well aware of Adeel's flirtations with his nieces, why does he suddenly turn a blind eye, accept Adeel as an angel and place blame entirely on Rana?  Yes, somehow the very last scene of the last episode did calm me a bit with Taaya Abu discussing with Rana how women sometimes have to take control of messy situations, somewhat affirming that he is not as in-the-dark as he would seem.



Rant over.  There's much more to talk about regarding this show, but I feel this much is enough.  I have a lot of hopes pinned on this show.  Despite the intense flaws and tedious main male character, this show is very interesting.  The show is "consistently on top" according to the channel (not for long with Mann Mayal in FULL intense love story stride!).  I just hope the writers realize the audience is reaching the breaking point, the point of no return.  We cannot be taken for fools.  Adeel needs to reform and reform IMMEDIATELY.  Like maybe get into a car accident, become wheelchair bound, have Rana nurse him back to health and then realize her worth......but something drastic needs to happen to bring this guy back into a positive light!

Happy watching!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry but I started watching this show after reading your post, and I was so annoyed by it. And Sajjal Ali with her emaciate, stick-insect look and the male lead (who seems to have gone to the Salman Khan School of Non-Acting) is so annoying. If I had to select a story about a bad guy being redeemed by a pious woman, I'd pick Basher Momin over this monstrosity (inspite of the former's scripting issues). And it helps that I liked the lead pair in Basher Momin. Anyhow, thanks for the post. And if I had to recommend a show to any one, I'd select Bheegi Palkein with the Basher Momin lead pair, and a much saner and romantic story line. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha as you can see from this post, I won't necessarily disagree with you. The show is getting tedious for me as well. However, I have to disagree with you. I hated Bashar Momin - justifying a character as monstrous as Bashar was ridiculous to me and the fact that Rudaba "loved" him was sickening. I am watching Bheegi Palkein and the situations Mehr Bano keeps getting herself into are ridiculous and just make me want to hit someone. Fari is definitely a zehni mareez but expecting her mother to listen to that and take Mehr bano's side is just silly. And then for Mehr Bano to consistently say "Maine aap ke Paas rehna hai" to the mother in law from hell is testing my patience. If anything, she should be working and moving out to live on her own....instead, she's allowing her crazy in laws to dictate her life. Also it's unrealistic that Hassan and his mom saw Fari's crazy side so many times yet still believe her over Bano. This show is over my head!

      But to each their own!! Dramas in general are becoming unpalatable for me these days, barring Mann Mayal which is probably the only sweet love story on tv these days. :)

      Delete
    2. You do bring up valid points. But I have to concede the Jane Eyre-type distraught heroine is a trope I feel drawn to, and Ushana and Faisal are so compelling together that I chose to ignore some glaring inconsistencies in Bashar Momin. The one inconsistency that I hated was how Bashar would keep backtracking on his confessions of love to the audience or Rudaba. Throughout I was confused about whether he did love her from before he met Buland or not. And I'd have found the story more convincing if they had shown Bashar to be in love with Rudaba from before he hatched the plan to take her fiancee for his sister Tayabah. As for Bheegi Palkein, I feel Mehr Bano insists on staying with her odious inlaws because she feels that there is no other respectable option where she can stay a widow and be committed to her husband's memories. And I have to admit, here too, my attraction for the Faisal-Ushana pairing comes into major play. Just like my absolute loathing of the lead actors of Gul E Rana stops me from being drawn to the show when others have found it interesting inspite of its inconsistent writing. :-D

      Delete
  2. Yes! Had Bashar shown any inkling of liking Rudaba and even shown any ounce of affection or kindness towards her, I would've been ok with the story. But there was too much "Zulm" there for me to be on board (though yes, Faisal and Ushna look very nice together). A true beauty and the beast come to life would've been cool. But I did love the scene when he finally told off his sisters when he got out of jail!

    Please continue reading and commenting! I always love feedback and discussing different opinions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with your review !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete