Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Yeh Mera Deewanapan Hai

Yes, I realize I haven't written in a LONG time. There are actually several reasons for this:

1) I'm watching my usual load of dramas, but only LIKE....2.  Dramas are unusually terrible these days.

2) I have a baby and she's highly attention seeking.

3) It seems like with the effort to make quality films, all our popular television faces have up and left for greener pastures, leaving television with the likes of Sumbal Iqbal and Sania Shamshad types....and don't get me started on the actors. 

But I apologize for the delay! A lot of shows have ended as well, namely Diyar E Dil, but I didn't want to constantly focus on ending shows, so let's talk about a real gem on air right now.


There's no other way to describe this show but underrated.  Airing on A Plus and starring Junaid Khan in a leading role, the show on paper didn't seem like a winner - but was I wrong and how! From the first episode onwards, this show has been nothing short of a winner. I'm not sure how it's faring in ratings, but as a viewer, I sincerely think this show is great! 2 nights a week almost doesn't seem like enough!



The show boasts of an ensemble cast, including Saima, Javed Sheikh, Irsa Ghazal, Sundas Tariq, Anoushay Abbasi and, of course, Junaid Khan.  Everyone plays their role incredibly.

The show tells a tale of a young boy, Jahangir, who feels trapped in his life, constantly witnessing his mother being mistreated by his father and his family. Almost as a form of escapism, Jahangir falls for the much older, but beautiful Mehtab, a nurse in his father's practice.  The show follows Jahangir's love and his familial troubles.



The episodes featuring Jahangir as a teenager are both endearing and painfully stifling, only because the going-ons are so intense. But post-leap, the show has taken a great turn and has made the drama even more enjoyable.  I'm eager to see more interaction between Junaid, Sundas and Anoushay's characters, while still holding out hope for Mehtab's fate.

The camera work and production values for this show also deserve special mention - the show is a visual treat to watch.


After so long, it's nice to see Junaid in a role of substance. It's so refreshing to see Junaid in a role different from his usual "I'm a jerk" roles. Jahangir is poles apart from Junaid's usual black and only black roles. While Jahangir has turned slightly negative post-leap, this role actually has heavy shades of grey and the viewer actually understands where Jahangir is coming from. Props to Junaid Khan for that.


This is a show I would highly recommend. It's meaningful, yet entertaining and tells a fascinating story that has lots of scope to play out in the upcoming episodes.  If you aren't already war thing, this is me telling you that you're missing out!

Happy watching!

2 comments: