Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Rant on Bashar Momin - An Overly Glamorous Attrocity

Sick.

That's the only way to describe this drama and the poor writing behind a genuinely evil, twisted character.



Rudaba has decided to commit to her marriage.  Seriously?  We see her smiling to herself after sharing 1-2 nice conversations with Bashar.  Um, what?



The audience here is being taken for a fool - and given, some of the members of this audience are fools, because they are buying into it.  I am no fool.  I won't forget the cruel way Bashar separated Buland and Rudaba for Tayyaba's gain.  I won't forget how rude and verbally abusive Bashar was to Rudaba.  I won't forget how he forcibly had his nikkah done with Rudaba.   I won't forget that Bashar laughed to himself at Rudaba's helplessness, waiting for him to take her home and saying he would divorce her.  I won't forget that Bashar raped Rudaba the night of their Rukhsati and then threw her out of the room.  And we definitely will not forget all the pushing, shoving, throat grabbing and all sorts of other abusive behavior Bashar has shown Rudaba post marriage.



And I'm sorry - but anyone who finds anything about this "love story" endearing is clearly forgetting all this......OR thinks something about all this horrific mess is romantic.

I've seen Bashar Momin being compared to Beauty and The Beast.  This is not the story of beauty and the beast.  The beast roared.  The beast was stuck in his own misery.  BUT the Beast was never vicious.  The beast didn't have any HORRIBLE qualities.  He never physically hurt Belle.  Rather, he became a good human being because of her and discovered true love.  Let's not INSULT that beautiful story by comparing it to Bashar Momin.



I'm rather disgusted with the writers of this show, now trying to show Bashar becoming "soft."  However, after Bashar spills his guts to Rudaba about his past, his sister, mother and father......he then GRABS Rudaba by the THROAT and THREATENS her if Buland ever so much as looks her way.  UM......how.....romantic?  Well yes, only if "romantic" is a replacement word for "psychopath."

Friends, let's not glamorize abuse and mental illness.  That's what's being shown here.  And in the form of Rudaba, we're now seeing a smart, confident, sweet girl turning into the victim of a sick, abusive relationship....and she's clearly HAPPY about it.



This scenario is messed up on so many levels. But do you know what's the worst part?  I am POSITIVE the writing and production team actually think they're presenting a beautiful love story.  There's nothing beautiful about this.  This is just another way for our society to fill the minds of girls with crap and teach them that this is appropriate behavior.  Why?  Because Bashar has been through SO much.  AWWWWW.  Rudaba will get through his hard heart and soften him up.  SPARE US ALL.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know she got raped :O when was this??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean...I don't know what else to call it. Isn't it rape when a woman is forced to be "rukhsat" with you and on that night, you tell her she's trash and then tell her to perform her "wifely duties"...and the entire time, she's terrified and crying? And then he proceeds to tell her to get lost, cuz her place isn't in his room cuz she's not worthy of that respect. :O So much disgustingness and we're conditioned to forget!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes i see what you mean. But was she actually raped?? I didn't see any sign of rape except the fact that rudaba is pronounced pregnant in the next episode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I mean, again, we're balancing on that fine line of "What constitutes rape?"

    "One of the most critical issues regarding rape is consent. Sexual activity should not take place unless both parties have freely given consent, and consent is understood by both parties.

    silence does not mean consent.


    if consent is given under duress (physical or emotional threats), then it is not given freely or willingly and sex with a person consenting under duress is rape" (Source: http://www.pandys.org/whatisrape.html)

    To ME, that entire wedding night scene was definitely rape, because Rudaba was not only unwilling, but also crying throughout and terrified. Obviously they didn't show her "consent," because Pakistani television doesn't work like that (Nor should it). But left to the imagine, to me, it was rape.

    It personally wasn't palatable to me personally, hence the rant.

    I do have to say that I'm watching Faisal Qureshi on Good Morning Pakistan with Nida right now and he's so lovable. It kills me that he took this role, because not only is it not a good role, it's also not worthy of his caliber. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes i see what you're saying i just thought she was crying because of his words. Anyway, I liked the tiny bit of chemistry between bashar and rudaba in the last 2 scenes of episode 26, but it's all ruined because of what he's doing to her! I wish we could see more of bashar and rudaba's chemistry in a less twisted, disgusting way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today she said I love you and he.....slapped her. I don't consider myself overtly feminist. I'm traditional and I do believe that people make mistakes and can be forgiven. But Bashar is a NASTY human being and I don't like the message this show is putting out, week after week. It's negativity against women.

      Delete
    2. I was happy to see the past story with Nauman and Hina though!!

      Delete
  5. Bashar. Was hot. But his personality ruined it. Tf bruhh

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop using my intelligence? No thanks, I'll keep it. I'm sorry if you know a Bashar and Rudaba in real life. That doesn't mean I'll suddenly support this. My father was one of 9 siblings and his father died when he was 11 years old, leaving my dad and his 12 year old brother to fend for the family. They are all strong, loving, amazing people. So you can't put circumstances down as an excuse for bad, abusive, terrible behavior.

    People say abused children become abusers. Not all of them. Some of them go the opposite way, refusing to become like their parents. You are accountable for your choices. You choose how to conduct your life. There are good choices and bad.

    If you read my post on the finale, you will see that my stance on Bashar softened a lot. But at THIS point we did not know his circumstances. We just knew he was rough, a bully and both physical and verbally abusive.

    Pakistani writers need to realize that their stories will leave an impression on young girls. The age bracket for viewers of this show was 18-25. Unmarried girls. I certainly would not want an 18 year old romanticizing this show.

    Different opinions are ok. Others have shared their opinions on here as well and I respect that. But there IS a respectful way to get that across. Telling me to not use my intelligence is not one of them. Let's agree to respectfully disagree. Take care.

    ReplyDelete