Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Marasim: Ghissi Piiti? Not Exactly.



When Marasim started and I saw the promos, my instant thought was:  "Oh no.  Another "Watta Satta" storyline full of misery.

However, after watching the first two episodes, I can happily say that I'm hooked.

Marasim shows the plight of Geeti Ara, a mother, a wife, a daughter-in-law, a sister-in-law, who has always strived to be her best and has always been an "ideal" daughter in law, yet has never gotten her due.  In fact, she has always been treated as a servant, insulted and been showered with absolutely zero affection from anyone, barring her children.  In this time of helplessness, her (evil) mother-in-law, (cowardly) husband and (evil) sister-in-law arrange the marriages of their children (while those children are STILL children).  Despite Geeti Ara's protests, this engagement is carried out and it is consistently put into the minds of the children that they belong to each other.

Dawood (Ahsan Khan), Geeti Ara's son, and Momina (Sonia Hussain), evil sister-in-law's daughter, are not only happy with the engagement, but also in love.  However, it is shown early on that they fear that the hostility between their mothers may ultimately affect their relationship.  And they were right.

We're shown many flashbacks through Geeti Ara's eyes of her suffering, but we're also shown that Geeti Ara now lives happily with her son and daughter (Dawood and Deeba), as her mother-in-law and husband are both deceased and her sister-in-law has her own family.  Dawood has always strived to be a good son to his mother, pulling her out of her helplessness, though she holds the resentment near and dear and refuses to let go.

Dawood discovers that Abdullah (evil sister-in-law's son and Momin's brother) has gotten married to an Indian Muslim girl in the USA.  BAM!  Shock of the century.  "WHOA.  That moron is supposed to be marrying my sister!"  Dawood ko laga jhatka!  Now coming into the "baatein" of Momina, Dawood keeps this a secret and tells Geeti Ara to get him and Momina married quickly, as he's ready.  Geeti Ara, unaware of the recent developments, says she'll only get him married when Deeba gets married, so she sets off to speak to her evil sister-in-law about the marriage.  It is here that she discovers that Abdullah has gotten married.

Now we're viewing the predicament of a hurt mother, scorned by the lie that the light-of-her-life son has kept from her.  At the end of episode two, Geeti Ara calls off the engagement between Dawood and Momina.

What's refreshing about this story is that Saba Hameed's character of Geeti Ara would, in other shows, be represented as that same "evil mother in law."  However, here, we're able to see HOW she will ultimately become that way and what circumstances she herself had to live through.  Our "evil character" is actually the one we feel for the MOST.  So far, it is Saba Hameed, NOT the youngsters, who is the driving force of the show for me.

It’s easy to say that parents should overcome their issues and give in to the happiness of their children - however, if I were in Saba Hameed’s place and had suffered for so long at the hands of my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, I would resent them equally as much.  They are downright terrible people.  And the cherry on top then becomes the sister-in-law's son screwing over my daughter.  Who would want that sister-in-law's daughter in their home?  I think the worst moment in episode two was the terrible moment when we see Ahsan drag his mother to the table and is met with “Baaki ki rotiyan kaun pakaayega?”  It was enough to paint the sick picture of bad in-laws, treating their daughter in law like a servant, or even worse, like a dog.

I do appreciate this picture they're painting of Geeti Ara's circumstances.  However, what I fear is that they will turn this around and ultimately make this show about Dawood & Momina coming together.  I am sorry, but this is REALITY.  Sometimes people treat you so badly that you can't forgive them.  And in those times, you expect your family to stand by you.  In fact, I'm confused as to why Dawood and Deeba were still going along with these engagements, knowing what their mother had been put through at the hands of their Phupo.  It would be a real disgrace to see Geeti Ara forced to deal with her sister-in-law's children in the future.

Ahsan Khan is doing his usual thing.  Sonia Hussain is being her usual, seriously annoying self.  I apologize, but I am NOT a fan of Sonia Hussain at all and never understand why she's cast in otherwise promising shows.  Saba Hameed is fabulous.  The supporting cast is OK so far.  I'm waiting for Urwa Hocane's entry.  =)

As for the rest, let's wait and see!

Happy watching!

4 comments:

  1. I really find Sonia Hussain annoying too and wish she wasn't being cast in so many good dramas.
    I would like your thoughts on this drama now that the story has progressed. I watched today's episode and can't figure out which way the story is going to go next week because Dawood seems to have a different reaction every time he sees Nayab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I felt like Dawood was finally going to soften towards Nayyab after he saw her getting ready for that dinner.....but then we came back to square one the next time he saw her. =/ It looks like some progress will be made in the next episode though! Ahsan & Urwa look really nice together too. I like the progression overall, because it does feel like we're getting somewhere. I felt so sad for Nayyab being mistreated by EVERYONE in this last episode. Her sister-in-law is terrible!

      Sonia Hussain really hurts my heart. I just don't feel like she's talented. I agree - she's being cast in so many good shows and I have to avoid a lot of them because of my dislike. Hahaha. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  2. U need a refresher course in reviewing

    Biased minds like you should resign

    Such pathetic comments on Soniya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s funny, you’re giving me advice on a review that was written 6 years ago when no one even knew who Sonya was by the way. She has come a long way and today I am her fan. But always check the date on reviews. And what is “resign”? This is a personal blog!

      Delete